ABC’s Brian Ross has been suspended over erroneous story that trump had ordered the Flynn Russia contact.
The US investigative reporter has been suspended by ABC News for his erroneous report that Donald Trump directed Michael Flynn to make contact with the Russians.
ABC News confirmed on Saturday that chief investigative correspondent Brian Ross had been sacked over an error in his reporting about former national security adviser Michael Flynn which sent U.S. stocks, the dollar and Treasury yields lower on Friday.
Brian Ross, citing an unnamed confidant of Flynn, the former national security adviser, had reported on Friday that during the presidential campaign Mr Trump had directed Flynn to make the approach.
That would have been an explosive development in the ongoing Russia investigation, but hours later, Mr Ross clarified that report on the evening news, saying that his source now said that Mr Trump had done so as president-elect, after the election.
At that point, he said, Mr Trump had asked Flynn to contact the Russians about issues including working together to fight ISIS. The news of Mr Ross’s suspension for four weeks without pay brought reaction from Mr Trump, who tweeted: “Congratulations to @ABC News for suspending Brian Ross for his horrendously inaccurate and dishonest report on the Russia, Russia, Russia Witch Hunt. More Networks and “papers” should do the same with their Fake News!”
As for Mr Ross, who is ABC’s chief investigative correspondent, he tweeted: “My job is to hold people accountable and that’s why I agree with being held accountable myself.”
ABC was widely criticised for merely clarifying and not correcting his report. It issued a correction later in the evening. “We deeply regret and apologise for the serious error we made yesterday,” the network said in a statement on Saturday.