During this second semester, I will be keeping a weekly workbook about what I am learning in the module Digital Journalism 2, I will also document here the process of creation of my assessment project which is an infographic.
WEEK 1 – Jan. 28th
- Meeting in the newsroom with all the lecturers to talk about the second semester
WEEK 2 – Feb. 4th
- Learning how to analyze data in order to create a story
- Example of a video about World War II that showed statistics
- Overview of the work we will be doing during this semester
- Talked about assessment 80% for one part 20% for the other
- Visit website lynda.com
- Creation of a graphic
WEEK 3 – Feb. 11th
- Discussion about the homework (analyze infographics about State Of The Union speeches)
- Data terminology
- Average, mean, median, mode
WEEK 4 – Feb. 18th
- Discussion about the homework (listen to the FT discussion between Sarah O’Connor and Tim Harford)
- Presentation about data developing and data stories
- Excel Workshop
WEEK 5 – Feb. 25th
- Data presentation by George a lecturer from School of Engineering
- Michael showed us how to find data sets
- Excel Workshop
WEEK 6 – Mar. 4th
- Discussion about the homework (find a dataset for our assessment project)
- FightHoax presentation by Valandis Zotos
WEEK 7 – Mar. 11th
- Discussion about our datasets ideas for the assessment project
- Looking for stories on Facebook with the Team 1 to analyse on FightHoax
- Meeting with Ryerson University (Toronto) and talk about the collaboration between the two universities (LSBU and Ryerson)
WEEK 8 – Mar. 18th
- Discussion about the incident that happened in New Zealand, and what we are supposed to do if we are the editor of a newspaper as something similar happens: how to describe the incident, what we are allowed to publish…
- Pitching of our datasets ideas for the assessment project. I am currently working on the question “Is tourism in the UK affected by Brexit?” : For now it’s easy for people from Europeans countries to travel to the UK as we don’t need visas, but in case of Brexit, it won’t be possible anymore, so we can think that tourism rates will decrease due to that. Therefore we can wonder what impact Brexit would have on tourism, and do economy will be affected by that?
- Working on FightHoax, analyzing facebook articles.
- Workshop on the software Adobe InDesign, learning how to use it in order to create an infographic.
- Introduction to the website FastCharts which will help us create our infographic
WEEK 9 – Mar. 25th
- Analyse of the article “PM in frantic talks at Chequers to see off ‘coup’” with FightHoax
- Weekly analysis of facebook articles about Brexit on FightHoax with our teams
- Discussion about our dataset project: this week I found data on the Office for National Statistics website.
- Working on Visme website to create the infographic: https://www.visme.co/make-infographics/
WEEK 10 – Apr. 1st
- Working on FightHoax
- Discussion about the infographics
- I had to change the topic of my infographic because, in the end, I couldn’t find an actual story for my previous subject about Brexit. I had a one-to-one with Michael and he suggested me to do my infographic about infographics with the dataset that is available on Moodle and I liked this idea.
- Tutorial with LJ about the infographic
- I started to analyse the dataset in order to know which will be my angle, so I chose to talk about “The science behind the most popular infographics”: I will show the different things that make an infographic successful, for example, the industry, the colours, the word count, etc…
- I looked at all the free infographic maker websites that LJ gave in order to know which one I wanted to use, I chose Visme and I did the first draft for my infographic but I wasn’t really inspired and I did not like the result.
WEEK 11 – Apr. 29th
- Meeting with Michael to talk about the assessment: I didn’t really know how to write my story so Michael explained to me how it was supposed to be.
- I started taking some notes about the things that I want to include in the story
- I tried Venngage, another infographic maker website because I didn’t really like the previous one. This time it was easier to create something that I liked so I kept using this website.
WEEK 12 – May 6th
- I started writing the story for my infographic and I finished doing the infographic itself.