Week One Show One – 05/10/20


In Class:

  • Jada – Director and Audio
  • Josh – Autocue and Stage
  • Juliana – Reporter and Lighting
  • Kika –  Vision Mixer and Stage 


  • Uno – Reporter
  • Arun – Reporter
  • Isabella – Reporter
  • Georgina – International Reporter
  • Miriyam – International Reporter


  • Mahira –  Bulletins
  • Craig – Social Media Bulletins
  • Saffron – Social Media Bulletins
  • Charlie – Sports Bulletins


We started off the day with a zoom call at 10am to facilitate who would be available for the day and who would be able to go out and film for us. Once this had been done, we then ended the call and both groups in class and off-site, spent 40 minutes looking at news stories and selecting ones that would work for our live show. Myself and the other members that were in class also spent this time to decide our roles and have a short editorial meeting deciding things such as the show length (15mins) and the start time (2pm). Once we were happy with this we headed back onto zoom to see the ideas for news stories and packages that the class had come up with. 

Once we had confirmed the news stories for the day, and the roles we ended the meeting we all got down to work. The meeting ended at 11:30am and we had decided to start the live show at 2pm meaning that we had 2 and a half hours to get everything done. We had agreed that all clips, footage and audio would be handed in by 1pm to ensure that we had enough time to upload all footage onto the vision mixer. At 1pm we then had our final editorial meeting. 

We did not have enough time for a dry run so went straight from downloading the footage and files from dropbox, to running the show. The show both started and finished on time which was a positive for us as timing is something we as a class had struggled to stick to the last academic year. 

Once the show finished, the class gathered once again both on zoom and in person – to discuss the show, what worked and what didn’t.



  • There were no intro or credits – I was in charge of these, however as the class did not upload the footage in time, I was unable to do the opening and closing credits in time. When I had finally finished them, the upload time for the credits meant that they would not be on the system in time for the show.  
  • Juliana could not be heard at certain points – This too was my fault as I was in charge of the audio and forgot to turn up Juliana’s mic at one point after the VT had played.
  • Slow transitions between VT’s and presenters – As it was our first time back in the studio after so long, we were all fairly rusty with the equipment and how to use it. As a result, the person working on the vision mixer was unsure how to flip between the VT’s and the camera’s hence there was a bit of a lag time after each VT/Clip. This could have been improved by making sure we had enough time to do a dry run so that the person on the vision mixer could feel comfortable and prepared before the live show. 
  • Slow/lagging internet connection for one of the live reporters – Internet connection can be unpredictable so we weren’t to know that this would have happened during the show. One way this possibly could have been avoided however, would have been to have had a dry run with the live reporters too to ensure their connection would be strong enough. An alternative would also have been to pre-record the segment as opposed to doing it live – this would be a better choice if the person knew/knows that their internet connection isn’t the best. 
  • Quality and format of Cold and Flu video – The video for this segment was filmed in bad quality and featured clips filmed at different rotations. In order to avoid this, we should ensure that everyone is aware of the pixel quality and rotation that the videos should be in before hand-in. This would also help to make our show look a lot more professional. 
  • No lower thirds – For the live reporters and the interviews, there were no lower thirds meaning that the show looked unprofessional. The reason for this is that we did not allow ourselves enough time as a whole and were rushed with uploading the footage and sticking to our deadlines. We did not have enough time to upload the lower thirds. To ensure this does not happen again, we can either give ourselves a longer timescale (starting the show later) or ask the reporters editing the clips to add in the lower thirds themselves using the JLDN format. 
  • Backgrounds could be more professional – It is understandable that reporters filming from home will not have the most professional set up. To make it look better to the audience, those working from home should choose a background that looks more flattering and represents a work environment as opposed to looking like someone’s bedroom. 
  • Communication between the team at home and the team in the newsroom – A lot of the clips needed for the show were handed in too late and a lot of the reporters found that they were having issues with the stories that they were going to cover. In order to prevent this happening again, I would ensure that everyone is able to communicate any issues and problems a lot sooner in order for them to be ironed out. I would also encourage the team at home to reach out if there are problems as opposed to waiting for the next editorial meeting to discuss it. 
  • Timing – From ending the editorial meeting at 11:30am to starting the live show at 2pm, we did not allow ourselves enough time to have a good show. All the filming and editing had to be done in a rush and we were unable to do a dry run due to lack of timing. Although the reasoning behind our early show was because many of our class mate had work in the afternoon, In order to make sure our show is successful and well executed –  I would still start the show at a later time perhaps 3pm or 4pm – giving us enough time to do a dry run, correct any issues or mistakes that may occur and ensure the footage handed in is to the best of our capabilities. I would also giv those that have work a small task of either find stock images/footage or gathering footage if possible – this way they are still able to participate in our newsdays without disrupting their work schedules or our newsday schedules.