Blaze in Rotherhithe laundrette prompts warning from the London Fire Brigade

At 00:35 on the 26th of November, London Fire Brigade was called to control a blaze that sparked in a launderette on Albion Street believed to be caused by oil-contaminated textiles self-heating.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to combat the the fire, and it was under control by 01:47 in the morning. Around 30 people were evacuated from the flat above the laundrette as a precaution by the LFB. 

Part of the shop was damaged by the fire, with the rest having smoke damage.

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade stated: “These types of fires often involve textiles which become contaminated with oil, most commonly linseed, massage and cooking oil on tea towels, tablecloths and chef whites.”

“Sometimes when these materials are cleaned, put in tumble dryers and then folded and stacked, the heat cannot escape, which results in a high enough temperature to smoulder and eventually ignite.”

The spokesperson then issued the warning: “If you are washing then drying on a hot cycle, always use the cooling cycle on the tumble dryer so it cools down and allows the heat to dissipate properly, before stacking laundered items.”

LFB’s statement: http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/LatestIncidentsContainer_Rotherhithe-26-11-2017.asp